Re: [Roadsters] Windshield Frame Straightening Procedure

To: <stebharvey@ameritech.net>, roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Windshield Frame Straightening Procedure
From: "robert k. smith" <rksmith46@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 11:38:12 -0500
hi steve,it sounds like a "fun" job. the only thing i have seen
over the years, is that when the metal cools, the shape might
change slightly. if that happens, then on your SECOND try,
you might want to try to wedge a 2X4, mabe ,corner to opposite
corner of the frame, to hold the shape while it cools. you might
even have to bend it further than you want, for it to be correct
when it cools(THIRD TRY). i hope im just kidding about the
"trys".  good luck, bob smith, ohio> From: stebharvey@ameritech.net> To:
datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net> Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 04:39:44 -0800>
Subject: [Roadsters] Windshield Frame Straightening Procedure> > Group,> > > >
I will be attempting to straighten my 1970 1600 windshield frame this>
weekend. I have the body mounted on a rotary fixture and had a friend help> me
rotate the body to a new position. I removed the front and rear pins plus>
adjustable straps that help hold the body in position. I asked my friend to>
just keep the body from moving in either direction until I attach a chain>
hoist. Well, he let go of the body and it rotated 180 degrees or until the>
top of the windshield frame hit my garage floor, BOOM. Ive taken>
measurements from several datum points to try to establish in what direction>
the how severe the distortion is. It looks like the frame is about = off>
center towards the passenger side. My plan is to heat both sides of the>
windshield frame (at the base) and using an old windshield, the soft top> and
both doors, force the frame back into alignment. My question is, has> anyone
had to deal with this type of repair and how did you get the> windshield back
into alignment?> > > > Thanks> > > > Steve Harvey>