Re: [Roadsters] Windshield Frame Straightening Procedure

To: "Steve Harvey" <stebharvey@ameritech.net>,
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Windshield Frame Straightening Procedure
From: "Bubba" <bubwin@mts.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 11:13:39 -0600
Having raced 510's, RX7's and 4 wheel drives, and had the pleasure of
testing the anti-gravity capabilities of 5-point harnesses, and gone through
the task of straightening roofs and re-fitting windshields, since the frame
is a bolt on, replace it if you can afford it.  You will save hours of
frustration and anxiety.

If you want to or have to try to salvage the frame, work slow, and pull with
steady force.  Take lots of measurements, and check often.  The real fun
will come when you have got it back to the proper position.  When you
release the tension, from pulling, the frame will shift back a bit.  You
will actually have to go JUST beyond where it needs to be, and when released
have the frame return to what you really need.

There is no easy way to know how far past you have to go, but it's not
usually too much.  Pull, release, check.  Pull, release, check.  Pull,
release, check.  And if things suddenly begin to need substantially more
force to continue pulling, STOP!  Re-assess, reset, and start pulling again.
Trying to pull on it may cause a sudden release of the excess pressure, and
an unintended pull the wrong way, or too far, causing new damage.

Good luck.

Bob Winslade
1966-1600 Missy
1967-1600 Bender