Re: [Roadsters] Steering control box

To: "Datsun-Roadsters@Autox. Team. Net"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Steering control box
From: "Tom Hendricksen" <tom@datsun2000.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 22:48:16 -0700
Years ago when I pulled wrench for Bill Steven's D Sports racer with a
Mercury outboard laying flat into a Fiat gearbox I had to deal with bearings
similar to this type.

In order to put the needle bearings in the caps and keep them there we
packed the caps with good old axle grease and pressed the needles into the
grease, which held everything together.

Being a 2-Stroke engine the fuel was fed from the carbs past the crankshaft
and up along the side of the cylinder walls and into the cylinder.  As the
gasoline passed by the rod and main bearings it would wash the grease out of
the bearings and carried it into the cylinders.  That made the fuel mixture
something that would not burn, so to start the car after the engine was
reassembled we tied a rope to the roll bar and towed the car on neighborhood
streets at midnight.  There were 3 megaphone stacks (read LOUD) pointing
towards the sky, and while the grease was burning out the flames from those
stacks went about 15-20' into the air.  When the engine did start the car
was quickly driven around the block and put into the garage, where the door
was put down and the lights were turned off while neighborhood lights in
some homes were coming on.  BTW, NOBODY ever wanted to pit next to us
because of the extreemly loud exhaust noise that came from this engine.  You
could hear the car all the way around Seattle International Raceway or
Westwood when it was on the track.

Tom
69 2000 - Mr. Hyde
Portland