fot

Re: Hub Modifications

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hub Modifications
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 97 08:49:48 EST
On Jan 12,  1:07pm, Nickbk@aol.com wrote:

OK, maybe I'm slow but I've now got another question
about this technique:

> You will end up with 4 new holes in the outer
> face of the hub, between the existing four lug bolts.

Are these holes tapped and threaded or just drilled?  I'd
assume that they must be threaded or else I don't understand
what this fix does.

> These four new holes will have bolts that end up flush with the
> outer face of the hub. These bolts will extend back from the outer
> face, through some air, then through the inner edge of the hub flange
> and then through the rotor, with their head on the inside of the rotor.

So, both the inner and the outer flange of the hub are threaded?
Isn't there a problem getting good quality bolts with that much
thread, then?  As I recall, grade 8 and AN bolts only have about
an inch of thread, then the rest is shouldered.  I think I'm still
missing something.

> Its really quite easy to explain when my fingers aren't so busy on the
> keyboard...

I think we're getting closer; I often think of e-mail as a
slow motion conversation...

thanks,

John Lye

rjl6n@virginia.EDU