fot

Re: Hub Modifications

To: rjl6n@UVA.PCMAIL.VIRGINIA.EDU, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hub Modifications
From: Nickbk@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 20:43:49 -0500 (EST)

<<
 OK, maybe I'm slow but I've now got another question
 about this technique:

 > You will end up with 4 new holes in the outer
 > face of the hub, between the existing four lug bolts.

 Are these holes tapped and threaded or just drilled?  I'd
 assume that they must be threaded or else I don't understand
 what this fix does.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Yes, these holes are tapped, and most importantly they must be
tapped so that the two sets of threads are in synch, so that when the new
long bolt is screwed in, it will pick up on the second set of threads
perfectly^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 > These four new holes will have bolts that end up flush with the
 > outer face of the hub. These bolts will extend back from the outer
 > face, through some air, then through the inner edge of the hub flange
 > and then through the rotor, with their head on the inside of the rotor.

 So, both the inner and the outer flange of the hub are threaded?
 Isn't there a problem getting good quality bolts with that much
 thread, then?  As I recall, grade 8 and AN bolts only have about
 an inch of thread, then the rest is shouldered.  I think I'm still
 missing something.

 ^^^^^^^^^^Indeed it may be tough to get grade 8 bolts that are threaded all
the way, but they do exist as that is what I have in my hubs.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Who brought this subject up anyway ???
         Nick in Nor Cal