fot

Re: TRans mount ramblings...

To: spirals@ESINET.NET, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TRans mount ramblings...
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 11:17:12 -0400 (EDT)

>Good suggestion Nick. I can see how that would help with tortion on the
>trans case, whick tends to crack. Did you have any fatigue problems in the
>crossmember?
>
>I've been a little reluctant to use solid mounts. <snip>

Fellow Pedal Pushers-

I hate tryin to explain a concept without the use of hands...can you say
tongue-tied ?

The beauty of the aforementioned trans mount mod, is that it IS NOT a solid
mount. The trans mount still moves as normal. The bolt "floats" around in the
hole in the crossmember until the the mount fails or is overextended, and at
that time the bolt contacts the crossmemeber and inhibits excessive
deflection at the rear of the trans in any direction (even forward to save
that cool radiator). You need to experiment a little with the size of the
hole in the crossmember until you are comfortable with the amount of movement
which remains. I think I ended up with about a 1" hole with the bolt centered
in the opening. Obviously the washers must be quite a bit larger than the
hole so that they are not pulled thru the hole when called upon.

Not exactly inhibited myself...
     Nick in Nor Cal