fot

Re: Brake pedal height

To: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@FORBIN.COM>
Subject: Re: Brake pedal height
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 09:47:45 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

I'll chime in here.

I was talking with Sam Halkias at the SCCA Runoffs(tm) and he showed me a
set of hubs and stub axles that he had machined for his podium finishing
TR6 that were way kool. He machined the stubs so that he uses the same
bearing type for both the inner and outer bearing (the bigger one). This
gets rid of the whimpy outer bearing that all "big TR's" have. In his
case, he also used some machined aluminum hubs also. And Jag brakes. Not
sure which Jag though.

At any rate, he claimed that the setup is much more reliable and I
believe that he said that he might make a "run" of them "if he could find
a reliable machine" shop or something to that effect. I guess he used to
have his Dad machine a lot of parts...

So, it might be worth contacting Sam about his setup.

Now, another possible solution that I have not fully investigated is to
use stub axles from other sources. I saw a TR6 at Road America at the
Triumph feature event by VSCDA in '96 that was really tricked out. The
guy had shoe-horned a small block chevy under the bonnet - but he did not
stop there (pun intended). He realized that with the extra weight of the
chevy drive train and the extra ooooomph from the V8 meant that he needed
to do something about the brakes. What he did was to press out the axle
stub and install axles from a Corvette. I have no idea what year, but the
axles fit "perfect" (his words) and then he used the Corvette hub, rotor
and caliper to complete the job. But - no maching was required. And to
look at that car, you would not know that it wasn't stock except for the
5 bolt pattern.

Now, I have no idea what you sanctioning body considers legal, but I'll
bet $.50 that a Corvette spindle is relatively cheap compared to
machining stuff from scratch. Not to mention tempering the axle stub etc.

There you have it. Some more possibilities.

Happy new year!
rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |