fot

Flywheels

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Flywheels
From: Patrick McMullen <pmcmull@ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 16:41:08 -0800
I'm not sure this will be of value to anyone but, I installed a Tilton
aluminum flywheel in my TR-6.  The TR-250 and early TR-6's had 24 lb.
flywheels.  The late TR-6's weighed in at 32 lbs.!  The Tilton I
installed weighs just 14 lbs.  The engine accelerated noticably
quicker.  When I switched from 27mm chokes to 30mm chokes in the
Webers....ya boy!  The Tilton cost $340.00 in 1991.  The problem I
encountered was that the flywheel (Tilton) measured .482" thinner or
narrower than the stock flywheel.  This of course moved my whole clutch
assembly that distance forward.  When assembled, my pushrod from the
slave cylinder was too short.  With the clutch assembly now .482"
farther forward, the pushrod attach point on the release arm was moved
way back.  I ended up machining a new release bearing holder .500"
longer than the stock one.
Just be sure to measure the thickness of the aluminum flywheel should
you go that route.

Pat in NC