fot

RE: Flywheels

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Flywheels
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 14:21:30 -0800
Time for my two cents I guess. I bought a steel plate flywheel from the
Cambridge Motorsports guys. I don't remember what it cost, and I'm not
sure what it weighs, but it's a lovely piece of work. I'll try to find
the stats and price, but while you are considering alternatives-it's a
good one. I've also installed a little gear reduction starter. Weighs
nothing, uses much less current than the original boat anchor, and spins
the motor incredibly fast.

I noticed the lighter flywheel made it much easier to catch clean
downshifts. I tend to automatically doubleclutch downshifts(old hewland
crashbox habits are hard to break) and the quicker engine response makes
for nice, crisp shifts. I upshift without the clutch (or at most, a
little toetouch on the pedal--another bad habit) and with the light
flywheel that goes slick as, well, slick as all those gross metaphors we
all know.