fot

Re: Flywheels

To: pmcmull@ibm.net
Subject: Re: Flywheels
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 18:22:32 -0500
Patrick McMullen wrote:

> I'm not sure this will be of value to anyone but, I installed a Tilton
> aluminum flywheel in my TR-6.  The TR-250 and early TR-6's had 24 lb.
> flywheels.  The late TR-6's weighed in at 32 lbs.!  The Tilton I
> installed weighs just 14 lbs.  The engine accelerated noticably
> quicker.  When I switched from 27mm chokes to 30mm chokes in the
> Webers....ya boy!  The Tilton cost $340.00 in 1991.  The problem I
> encountered was that the flywheel (Tilton) measured .482" thinner or
> narrower than the stock flywheel.  This of course moved my whole clutch
> assembly that distance forward.  When assembled, my pushrod from the
> slave cylinder was too short.  With the clutch assembly now .482"
> farther forward, the pushrod attach point on the release arm was moved
> way back.  I ended up machining a new release bearing holder .500"
> longer than the stock one.
> Just be sure to measure the thickness of the aluminum flywheel should
> you go that route.
>
> Pat in NC

Funny you should mention the throwout bearing adapter. I just completed
a TR6 race engine for a customer and we used the Tilton flywheel -- a
really nice piece. I had exactly the same experience -- but you don't
know it until the engine is in. After several phone calls to the west
coast, it came to light that Tilton makes the adapter you mention, and
it must be used or the fork is at an awkward andgle and the pushrod
won't connect. Using their $$$127 adapter solves the problem -- which
raises the price of the installation to $450 for flywheel plus $127 for
adapter = lots. Plus for us it was another engine removal. I'm afraid
I'm not a good enough driver to feel $600 worth of difference between my
19 pound cast iron job and the 14 pound nice piece.
--
uncle jack thinking spring
TR4 Rallye Replica vintage racer