fot

RE: TR3A rack and pinion conversion.

To: Chip Bond <spirals@ESINET.NET>,
Subject: RE: TR3A rack and pinion conversion.
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 22:41:31 -0700
Amen. I did a lot of work to my front suspension to get the roll centers
right--or at least in the ballpark--not easy with a Triumph. The
difference is amazing. Frankly I think it's a lot more worthwhile
modification than changing the steering actuation method.

You really need to have adjustable camber, and the bump steer with a
stock front suspension is just scary. Unless you're going to run tall,
skinny tires and soft springs the steering will be very darty, turning
in radically in high speed sweepers.

I considered rack & pinion steering, and modeled the result on a CAD
system. I didn't try shortened housings, but it was obvious that the TR4
rack was just not going to work well (unless I made a mistake in the
measurements). The toe in varies by several degrees over even a small
amount of differential suspension travel (ie--one wheel rebounds while
the other doesn't). Looks like a lot of work to get it all right.