fot

Another one bites the dust

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Another one bites the dust
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@virginia.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 16:19:06
Hello Amici Triumphi,
      Well, I wasn't able to complete my runs at the Petersburg, VA
ProSolo2 event on the weekend of 4/17 and 4/18 due to a broken rear
end.  I finally got the rear stripped down and pulled out from under
the car to assess the damage and found that I'd broken the right
rear axle.  The splines had sheared off right where they joined the
rest of the axle, making the axle about two inches shorter than it
used to be.  Luckily this wasn't accompanied by any of the more
specatacular events that some of you have encountered; in fact, it
was rather uneventful and felt more like a severely slipping clutch.
There weren't even any loud bangs to signify when it let go.  I guess
there's now one fewer of those axles that the SCCA thinks are so
"readily available".

cheers,

R. John Lye

'59 TR-3A; '62 TR-4; '70 GT-6+