fot

RE: Another one bites the dust

To: Alexander Joseph H <AlexanderJosephH@Waterloo.deere.com>
Subject: RE: Another one bites the dust
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 17:02:17 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Alexander Joseph H wrote:

> Do you have a shortage of axles?...I suspect you dont.

Surpisingly, with two parts cars, one car on the road and the fact that
it's pretty hard for me to throw things away... I actually do have a
shortage of axles. In fact the big thing for me right now is that I have
several outer hubs (needing rebuilding, of course) that have various
problems with the "dog bones". One has a chunk _missing_ from the U-joint
yoke, several have sloppy u-joint seats and I also have at least one with
sloppy "sliding splines".

I've actually given thought to buying the SNG Barratt CV joint rear axles
for TR6, but the thought of parting with more then $$$ 1K is almost too
tough to take for me. It hurts just writing it!

I also have a copy of "hemmings" open to the Chevrolet section on my
dining room table at home. There's a company that specializes in Corvair
that is located about 60 miles from my house. I hear tell that the "hot
setup" way back when was to use Corvair axles. A friend explained the
differences between TR6 and Corvair real axles to me this weekend... if
they make new axles, I might consider that option (converting to Corvair
outer axles). I believe the Corvair option is also do-able on Spitfires,
although I do not know that from first hand experience. I'll be calling
the Corvair folks this weekend.

But I can always use a few more axles.... I presume you bring this up
because you have some that need a new home???

regards,
rml

p.s. FWIW, it looks like I have purchased a tow vehicle, now I can really
set my car up to handle! Of course then I loose the ability to go for
random drives, but that's what "the other car" is supposed to be for.
Hopefully, that new one will debut later this year or early next year.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |