fot

Re: Con Rod Bolts

To: Richard Taylor <n196x@mindspring.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Con Rod Bolts
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@virginia.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 07:33:51
Hi Richard,

I'm not the world's expert, but I'll give you the benefit of
my experiences (and the advice of some of the more knowledgeable
folks around).

At 07:21 PM 5/18/98 -0400, Richard Taylor wrote:
>1.  What about connecting rod bolts?  Are harder ones better?

No, definitely not.  Stick with the stock rod bolts.  I put in
a set of ARP rod bolts, thinking that I was doing my engine a
great favor - this led to that motor blowing up big time.  The
rod bolts need a certain amount of stretch to lock securely,
and the ARP bolts are too strong to lock (they'll be way over
the recommended torque before they stretch sufficiently).  This
lack of stretch caused one to back out of the rod cap allowing
it to exit the block at high velocity.  At least this is the
conclusion that I've come to from the post-mortem.

>2. Has anyone had good luck with the rear oil seal conversion.  I know it's
>a pretty strange concept think of a Triumph w/o the ability to establish
>its own territory in the pits, but what's your experience?

Yup, I like them.

>3.  How about the windage tray in the pan?  Should I diddle with it whilst
>I have it antiseptically pristine?

I've thought about making one, but haven't ever gotten very far.

good luck,

John Lye
rjl6n@Virginia.edu