fot

RE: Attention all TR3-4 vintage racers

To: "'GRMTim@aol.com'" <GRMTim@AOL.COM>,
Subject: RE: Attention all TR3-4 vintage racers
From: "Bownes, Robert M. (EXCH)" <RMBOWNES@intermedia.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1998 22:12:20 -0400
>I attached my seat to the original seat slides and can slide it all the way
>back
>to the rollbar for easier ingress and egress.

As a side note, I don't know if this is legal for vintage, but I would,
after events in the last few weeks, once again, recommend attaching any
seat to a loop attached to the roll cage. Use of the seat sliders (which
failed) and failure to directly attach (or support) the seat back to the
roll cage has resulted in one fatality I know of in the last month.
(Combined with the use of a fiberglass seat that broke and a poorly
placed bar behind the driver's head)

The best seat strategy appears to be to use an Al seat of some type,
fasten it to the roll structure bottom and back, and to *attach the
harness to the same structure*. The reasoning behind this is that often
in an impact the roll structure will move and the floor pan will not. If
the seat back is attached to the roll structure, as required by SCCA
rules, this means the seat bottom and back move relative to one another
with potentially disastrous circumstances. Also bad if the seat moves
relative to the harness.

Again, I don't know if ANY of this applies to vintage, but I should
would want it built that way. As I'm now driving a formula car, it
matters little to me, but the next time I build a production car (soon,
I hope), it will have an aluminum seat that is attached to the roll
cage.