fot

RE: Vintage Prep States...

To: vinttr4@FORBIN.COM, Malaboge@AOL.COM
Subject: RE: Vintage Prep States...
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 08:42:43 -0700
When the bug bites, it bites hard.

There's a lot of variation, the fundamental question is, will you use
the car on the street as well. I have seen very nice, fun, somewhat
competitive TRs driven to the track and raced. Last weekend there was a
lovely Alpha that had the kid seat in the back for all races (yes, the
seat was empty).

My car would be fun on the street, but the man would be after me
quickly. It's very low, and fairly loud, has no interior, no alternator,
and no lights. Most of the body panels are fibreglass, the suspension is
extensively modified (same lower arms, modified uppper arms for camber
adjustment and better roll axis. the frame has been lip welded and
gusseted, the roll cage is designed to add rigidity, the rear armstrongs
have been modified, and there's a panhard rod.

The engine is not wild--stock crank and rods (mildly reworked) 87mm
sleeves, bumpy cam, webers (which may be a mistake), big pushrods, a
little head work. Nothing radical. I run in the upper middle of group 1
and the middle of group 2.

Personally, I think the more you do to a car, the more fun it is--if you
do most of the work yourself. It's never about ultimate performance--I
will NEVER beat the porsche-engined cooper that blew by me last weekend,
or the lister jag that was chasing it. But I can make life interesting
for a few millionaires in their Testa Rossas. And have the best seat in
the house while doing it.

Welcome back. If you're thinking about it, you know you're going to do
it.