fot

Re: Vintage Prep States...

To: Malaboge@AOL.COM
Subject: Re: Vintage Prep States...
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 16:54:19 -0500
Malaboge@aol.com wrote:

> Weekend Warriors-
>
> I know there are more than a few "Vintage" racers out here, so what's the
> consensus on the levels of prep for a decent Vintage TR these days ? I gather
> that the level is definetly beyond the "take off the muffler and windshield"
> stage, but how far has it gone. Will a '70's kinda setup get the job done (big
> bars, stiff springs, solid bushings and stiff lever shocks), or are most of
> the cars running Penske style coil-overs one-off suspension uprights and
> adjustable a-arms ?

> Never thought I'd think about racin again...
>         Nick in Nor Cal

I don't know how it is on the left coast, but in the midwest there are
quite a few TR's running with all stock but mildly modified suspension
components (except bushings, bars, etc) and engines prepared basically
to the classic Kastner book specs. These cars are competitive with each
other, are great fun, and when held to 6000 rpm are as reliable as TR's
ever were. They are not as fast as the Porsches, but then that's the way
it was back in the 60's.

There are five or ten vintage TR's in the country that are another major
step faster, usually running steel cranks, more rpm, latest technology
flowed heads, and perhaps better driven, etc. Those cars are
significantly faster but require another step up in expenditure or
expertise.

If you start with a solid, street-driven non-rusty TR3 or TR4, expect to
spend an additional $10,000 to prepare it to the lower level and $20,000
to prepare it to the higher level.

Just as in the vintage days, you can have lots of fun and be competitive
with similar cars either way.

--
uncle jack the carfrek
TR4 Rallye Replica vintage racer