fot

RE: Mechanical Advance

To: "'Bob Lang'" <LANG@isis.mit.edu>, "Patrick McMullen" <pmcmull@ibm.net>
Subject: RE: Mechanical Advance
From: "R.M. Bownes III" <bownes@emi.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 13:40:32 -0400
> Note: John's (and Chip Bond's) Electromotive unit is really nice.
> Drawback - relatively big money. You need to go to a crank
> trigger setup. Advantage - if the crank timing is off, you have way bigger
> problems than any ignition system can fix! That being said, I think the
> Electromotive setup is really nice. Drawback - def. not for the vintage
crowd.

I too have one of the Electromotive's. Very nice. Total cost, about $400.
Very easy to install, very easy to set up (if you have John handy to make
things work!) I built a bracket for the pickup that bolts onto the timing
chain cover. Simple, easy, & functional. It has a number of nice features,
not the least of which is the built in rev limiter. The problem I have with
the MSD is that by the time you buy all the advance modules, the rev
limiter, and all the other goodies, the cost goes through the roof and
you've got wires all over the place. The EM is three wires-sensor, ground,
and +12. Very convenient.

Wish I could use it on my other race car...

I'd like one for the 6 cyl cars since this one was so easy to put in. Maybe
next year. I'd think you could tune it to be quite streetable.

iii