fot

Re: Mechanical Advance

To: "FOT LIST" <fot@autox.team.net>, "Bill Babcock" <BillB@bnj.com>
Subject: Re: Mechanical Advance
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 19:19:53 -0600
I inherited a Mallory Dual Point in my TR3A that has been nothing but
trouble.  Whoever installed it in the car in the first place located the # 1
terminal 90 degrees out (or some approximation there-of).  I really need a
guy with a machine to reset this unit up. It is my best guess that since the
unit comes without a driving dog, the DPO just drilled where ever he thought
it belonged. I've pretty much had to guess at the timing, no doubt adding to
my overheating problems. I switched back to the stock unit by locking the
plates at full advance (no vacuum). Does anyone know where I can send the
Mallory, have a set of the factory instructions or any advice on running the
stock unit? I get to try it out this coming weekend.

Bob Kramer, Austin TX
Hill Country Triumph Club
TR6's, TR250's, TR3A vintage race
rgk@flash.net