fot

RE: New Additions to FOT

To: "'Jeff Snook'" <jsnook@wcnet.org>
Subject: RE: New Additions to FOT
From: SOLOW GREG <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 14:02:08 -0800
Thanks for the warm welcome.  Although I currently have a billet crank =
in my car, I ran with a modified stock crank at the same power level and =
rpm (about 160 hp and 6800 rpm) for over 30,000 street miles and 30+ =
race events over 10 years without a failure.  Fortunately, when a =
modified stock rod finally broke at sears point about 9 years ago, it =
only took out f1 piston, 1 liner ,and the block.  The crank survived =
without damage and it is my current plan to actually put it back in my =
engine as I believe it will make a little more power because it is very =
completely streamlined and therefore will have less windage power loss.  =
Its also lighter so should rev faster.=20
I am not an expert on heat treatment so leave that up to the guy who I =
have race prepare my cranks.  I don't believe that a billet is necessary =
for any TR-4 engine at any power level as long as the revs are kept to a =
reasonable level, i.e.. under 7,200 rpm max.  But that means that the =
stock crank must be properly prepared..Deep Case Nitriding for sure, =
properly done..shot peening seems to be a waste of time and money.  The =
prepared crank that I used in my own car also had=20
the rear radius of the #4 rod journal, where they usually crack, welded =
up and remachined to a larger radius, then stress relieved.
   The  last billet I had made, which was for Richard Freshman, cost =
about $1600.00, and took about 8 months.  The welding and nitriding =
procedure costs about $650.00 and should take about  1 month or so.=20
     When Ed Berre purchased his car in 1989, I built a new engine for =
it which I think he ran for=20
two or three years without any problems.  That engine dynoed at 163  at =
6,000 rpm.  It had the same cam that  you have. I also run that cam. =
That power was made with 45DCOE Webers and=20
a 12.5: 1 CR.  In  '94 we supplied an engine to Larry Nelson which was =
the first we had ever Dynoed both with Webers and then with 1 3/4 SU =
carbs.  On that engine, the webers made about=20
174 hp and the SUs about 162.  This head was prepared a little =
differently.  These are all 2187 cc engines with standard size valves.  =
There might have been a little more power to be had with the SU carbs if =
we had spent more time tuning, but  I am certain that we could never =
have gotten back=20
up to the power level of the Webers.  The power curves just began to =
diverge when the engine=20
came on  the cam. The webers just flat out flow more air.=20