fot

Re: Any GT-6's for sale

To: rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu
Subject: Re: Any GT-6's for sale
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 10:19:31 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 20 Dec 1998, R. John Lye wrote:

> Hi Amici,
>      An old autocrossing friend from my days in St. Louis
> recently e-mailed me to renew acquaintance and to ask if
> I knew of any race-prepped GT-6's for sale.  His father is
> about to retire, and they have decided to go vintage racing
> as a father/son project and they've got a soft spot for GT-6's.
> If you know of any such car (especially with some "interesting"
> history) that might be for sale, you can either let me know
> and I'll pass it on to him, or you can contact Andy Stark
> directly at whitedog72@aol.com.

There's a GT6 in the New England area that was a racer all its life.
Started out as a 69 GT6+ and raced actively for quite a while in these
parts as a DP car (I guess - that's what numbers/letters are still on the
car). At any rate, an eccentric collector came to own the car to settle
some debt. The car has been in Hemmings a number of times, and as of
about 6 months ago the car was not sold. Note: it had been for sale (and
I'm not making this up) for about 4 years when I sopke with the owner
last year during the  summer (Aug. '97).

Its current state is hardly perfect, as there is some rust in the
floorboards and that sort of thing. Apparntly (as the story is told), the
car was balled up pretty badly at Lime Rock - necessitating a complete
body replacement. So, the car sports a MkIII body at this time.

This looks like a project car, for sure, but it is def. vintage eligible
and could be made to be a pretty solid car for a "reasonable" investment.
However, I'm not quite certain the exact amount of body work that is
needed, as despite talking to the owner on several occasions and having
looked at other cars the fellow had for sale, I have not actually seen the
car myself. I have heard from others that have seen the car that it does
need work. Oh, and the car apparently has an SCCA log book - I have no
idea when the last entry is, but it's probably safe to say - before 1982
or so.

If anyone is interested, I could dig up the fellow's number. I actually
have it on file at my house - along with the color pictures the owner
sent to me trying to entice me to purchase the car.

> Thanks

regards,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |