fot

RE: Racing Italia

To: Alexander Joseph H <AlexanderJosephH@Waterloo.deere.com>,
Subject: RE: Racing Italia
From: mikee@ragtops.com
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 10:12:01 -0500
FOT,

    I'm the guy building a Triumph <italic>Italia </italic>for vintage racing.
I've got the body off
the  chassis and will be getting it plactic-media blasted as soon as I get the
rest of  the trim off. The side windows are held in by ally strips secured with
many very  small, tight and rusty screws; it is very slow going to not damage
anything. I  may also decide to remove the riveted in replacement floors made
from  corrugated roofing tin, before we get it blasted.

    Actually, this brings up an interesting question - Redi-Strip or plastic
media?
 I have been in the restoration business for about 25-30 years and am familar
with both methods. I'm curious about any thoughts any of you may have
regarding the two methods or alternatives. Also, we are working on a Europa
and an Elva. Any thoughts about stripping fiberglass? Thanks in advance for
your time!!

    Back to the Italia - the frame appears to very solid and straight, but only

prelimanary examination yet. I've gotten a line on an early TR-4 overdrive, I
drove the car with the OD and it works fine; as soon as I take it apart I'll
know
more. I also  have a Judson supercharger that was on an interesting car. A TR-
4 frame with a  homemade body of aluminum clad plywood that looks
something like a 'T'  series MG. It appears that they got the basic body shell
-
floors, firewall, dash,  cowl and rear bulkhead - finished, bolted in some
seats,
test drove the car,  then parked it for ten or so years. I started and ran the
engine, so I know the  supercharger works. If anyone is interested the chassis
is for cheap, I'm not  trying to make money, I just want to get rid of it.

    The Italia should start moving ahead soon, as work slows down this time of
year. We have to do all the body reconstruction next, but since this is the
third
Italia in as many years, it should move along fairly quickly. I find I need to
keep
holding back on the performance mods I'd like to make; this is vintage racing
and I need to keep it in the spirit. No ally body parts, no billet crank, no
fender
flares or fat slicks. This is going to be fun!!

<nofill>
Michael Engard
1970 Rover 3500S
1961 Triumph Italia 2000 GT