fot

Re: Synthetic Lubricants

To: Jeff Snook <jsnook@wcnet.org>, Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Synthetic Lubricants
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@virginia.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 13:19:58 -0500
Hi Jeff,

At 12:15 PM 2/23/99 -0500, Jeff Snook wrote:
>We are considering switching to synthetics in our Triumph TR3
>motors

I'm a firm believer in the benefits of synthetics, so I
think this would be good move for you.

>1.  What are the advantages of synthetic oils and why does it
>appear everyone is using them in their race cars?

I can't speak for everyone, but I will tell you the reasons that
I use them.  First, my autocross car has always run hot (something
about high rpm and low air speed...).  Switching to synthetics
reduced the operating temps by about 15-20 degrees which is
significant.  Second, after seeing how much less wear the internal
parts showed after tearing several motors down, I am convinced
that the synthetics contribute to the longevity of the motor.

>2.  Does synthetic motor oil require a different, "run in"
>procedure on a fresh motor?

I always break the motor in on dino oil, then switch to synthetics.
I like to do one oil change at about 100 miles, a second at 500
miles (both with dino oil), then switch to synthetic at 1000 miles.

>3.  Are synthetics compatible with standard oils or do you have
>to do some exotic flushing procedures before switching?

They are completely compatible with dino oil (although you lose
some of the benefits of the synthetic when you mix them).

>4.  Any problems running synthetic gear oil in an overdrive
>transmission?

This is somewhat controversial, but I'm currently running Redline
MTL in my O/D gearbox but haven't had it in long enough to tell
for sure.  Chip Bond had been using MTL for far longer than I have.

>5.  Does anyone know some technical people at any of the
>manufacturers, i.e. Red Line, etc.?

Redline seems to have good tech support if you call them, but I
don't know anyone there personally.

Go ahead, it's good for you...

John Lye
rjl6n@Virginia.edu