fot

Re: Synthetic Lubricants

To: Jeff Snook <jsnook@wcnet.org>
Subject: Re: Synthetic Lubricants
From: Patrick McMullen <pmcmull@ibm.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 16:51:51 -0800
Jeff,

I have to agree with John Lye.  While I do not race my TR-6, it can be
driven hard sometimes.  I use synthetics throughout the drive train
(overdrive included) and have only praise on performance.  I have used
only Amsoil products for 4 years now and will stand behind all their
claims.
One thing to watch out for even with synthetics is the gear oils.  Gear
oils are usually rated a GL-5 or GL-6.  These have high zinc contents
for the extreme pressure protection.  Brass, Bronze and copper do not
like these materials very well.  They can eat up syncros rather quickly!
Always make sure the gear oil you run in a transmission has the MT-1
rating.  This means it is safe for synchros.  It may still carry a GL-5
rating as well but is treated differently.  I don't know about Red-Line
but most all of Amsoils gear lubes are MT-1 rated.
Their tech line knew all about Laycock-DeNormanville overdrives and
highly reccommended a 75w-90 gear lube which is very simular to RedLines
MTL.

Pat in NC