fot

Re: Synthetic Lubricants

To: jsnook@wcnet.org, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Synthetic Lubricants
From: Catpusher@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 20:06:01 EST
FOT:  I was trying to stay hidden until R.W. Kastner was on board, but
Jack Wheeler just had to get me in trouble :-)

<<
 1.  What are the advantages of synthetic oils and why does it
 appear everyone is using them in their race cars?

<snip> How hard do you flog your car?  We had to really push the envelope
to accomplish our goals, and redline oils were an important part of the
package.
Parts last longer and look better.  It is cost effective, as the components
can be
run longer between tear downs.  Redline will with stand extreme conditions.
It is also one of the reasons that our TR3 has been so reliable.

 2.  Does synthetic motor oil require a different, "run in"
 procedure on a fresh motor?

<snip> Yes.  Redline used to make a "run in" oil, but I do not know if it
is still available.  It is necessary to put load on the piston rings right
away
if you run in on Redline.  No driving the car to tech.

 3.  Are synthetics compatible with standard oils or do you have
 to do some exotic flushing procedures before switching?

<snip> Redline is compatible.

 4.  Any problems running synthetic gear oil in an overdrive
 transmission?

<snip>When I build a TR racing gearbox for someone, I insist that
Redline is used.  I have never had problems with synchros, other than
breaking old ones from the forces required to finish ahead of the non-
Triumphs.  The laygear bearings actually last.

 5.  Does anyone know some technical people at any of the
 manufacturers, i.e. Red Line, etc.?

<snip> Call them

 Anxiously awaiting your replies.

 Jeff  >>

<snip>Do I need to add that I do not work for or have any financial
connection with Redline?  Do tell Tim Kerrigan that I said it is an OK
product if you wish  :-)

 Hardy