fot

RE: Introduction

To: "Baxter Culver" <peyote222@email.msn.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Introduction
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 08:05:22 -0400
Baxter,

I guess I wasn't clear.  The Regal was the car which was very competitive in
it's class, which was large 'merrican sedans and small Japanese cars.  The
engine was stock, with a recurved dizzy, matched ports in the manifolds and
most of GM's police pursuit suspension.  For it's size, it handled
exceptionally well.  Of course, the front tire pressure was raced at just
over 50psi and the castor was pushed out to 11 degrees to keep the sidewalls
off the pavement.  =(8^0)

I recall my first autoX driving school in the Regal.  The instructor, an MGB
driver, rode with me.  He asked if was OK for him to talk during the run.  I
told him sure, that would be good.  At the end of the run I asked him why he
hadn't said anything during the run.  He told me he was so amazed at what
was being done with this HUGE car, he just didn't talk.  I don't necessarily
believe that I was a great driver, he just wasn't used to riding in a big
car, but it was a nice stroke.  When he introduced me for my real runs at
the race later that day, he announced "In the start box, number 18, Jack
Brooks in a Buick Regal... yes, I did say a Buick Regal, you're going to
want to watch this one".  I get goose bumps thinking about it now, but it
really pissed me off then.  The car regularly placed in the top quarter to
third of the class.  This was back in the early-mid '80's.

RE: the Vega    If you got past the potential for fast wear in the block of the
Vega, it really was a fun car too.  The car was a '72 GT, black with a fat
white stripe.  It had a good engine.  In '73, they really started killing
the HP on this car.  '71 and '72 had a better head and (maybe) more
compression.

I learned all my wrenching skills on that Vega, my first car.  (Hmmmm, what
does that say about me?)  BTW - I honestly don't recall what I raced against
in the Vega.  That was the mid-late '70's; millions of brain cells ago.  ;-)

Later,

Jack