fot

Re: Straight cut/close ratio gears

To: "FOT" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Straight cut/close ratio gears
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 12:45:52 -0500
FOT,

First let me say thank you again for all the responses. I now know that you
can buy close ratio gearsets from the 1" input shaft Triumphs and adapt them
into the bigger TR's tranny case. There are 2 different ratio sets and one
is preferred over the other for racing.  In addition to these sets,  the
Comp Dept also sold Close Ratio sets for TR6's. I checked out my supposed
Close Ratio gearbox and compared it to the ratios (provided by King Kas
himself) for the Triumph Comp Dept gearsets he sold. These used the 1.25"
input shaft like the stock units, and that is what the PO told me I was
getting. What I have is nothing more then an A-Type TR6 Tranny, fairly good
condition, but whether the O/D works I don't know yet. For grins, I checked
another O/D TR4A tranny I have (to rebuild for a buddy at some point in the
future) and it was the same as mine except for the output flange shape. I
checked them in first and second and they are the same as the standard
version, 3.14 in first and 2.01 in second. Oh well, time to get into the
engine and see if those promised Carillos and forged crank are in there.
Shouldn't be long until I know if I got anything good out of this deal.

            teeth counter gear   teeth mainshaft  gear ratio     diameters
1st.         19                        30                    1.88
2 7/16 x 3 3/4
2nd.        26                        31                    1.42
2 13/16 x 3 5/16
3rd         28                        29                     1.24
3 1/16 x 3 1/8
4th         31                        26                     1.0

Bob Kramer
Hill Country Triumph Club
Corinthians Vintage  Auto Racing Club
TR3A, TR6, TR4A