fot

Re: More Tires

To: gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com, Malaboge@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: More Tires
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 11:02:42 EDT
In a message dated 6/21/99 11:52:46 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com writes:

<< What is it that you like about the BFGs?  Do they handle more predictably,
 give faster lap times or stick or brake better?

I guess what I like best is the handling predictability.  They stick well,
and let you know when they're letting go.  And they go gradually, not all at
once.  They feel stickier than other tires I've tried.  But what is
interesting is that even though I drive more confidently on them....I drive
slower on them than on the old Bridgestones.  They felt like they were always
on ice...sliiping and sliding.....but my lap times were consistently faster
on them.  One time, at Sears Point, I couldn't believe it, so I did back to
back laps with a tire change in between...and yep, the Bridgestones were
faster...and scarier (maybe that's why).  Maybe I need to push the BFGs
harder so they feel slipperier too, then I'd be even faster??

The BFGs are also better on braking....I seem to lock them up less (again,
maybe its because I"m running slower).  I flat spotted quite a few
Bridgestones.  Perhaps it has to do with how the tire transmits what's really
happenig.  Maybe the BS's weren't good at that, so I'd push them further,
where the BFGs transmit plenty of information???

We don't mention them much, but the Toyos weren't bad either...I just found
that the BFGs and the Bridgestones were a couple of seconds faster than them.
 But the Toyo's felt good too, but a little less stick.

I tried one set of Hoosier bias plies...but my car pushed REALLY bad with
them....wouldn't turn in at all.  I suppose this had a lot to do with the 2
deg neg camber I have for the radials.  If I had taken the time to re set up
the car I might have liked them.  Some guys go quite fast on them.  They felt
predictable, but the car responded like it was in slow motion with them.

Does this answer your question??  How's your car coming????  I came real
close to doing exactly what you did...fortunately, my wheel stayed on the car
after the axle broke..and I was within coasting distance of the pit...

Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus Cortina Mk1