fot

Compression & Leak down testing

To: FRIEND OF TRIUMPH <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Compression & Leak down testing
From: "David C. Wingett" <elkhorn@megsinet.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 15:21:20 -0700
To All
        I've seen a lot of numbers generated in the last few days concerning
compression and they seem to all be correct, depending on a whole list of
variables. To do a complete  tear down on an engine based soley on this data
might be premature.
        Simply invest in a Leak Down Tester . They are avalable from Racers
Wholesale (1-800-886-RACE) for about $70.00 bucks. It's something every one
that has a compression tester should have !!!  It will pay for itself the
first time you find that all you need is a valve job, when you are ready to
pull it down for a complete rebuild.
        VERY simply stated it compares the amount of pressure applied to the
pressure held in the cylinder.  It tells whether your lose is in your valves
or rings. A new engine that has some(?) break in time should have only 3%-5%
lose in any cylinder.  A worn engine with a long history could expect  much
more . I tear my racing engines down at 8% -10% . Grass Roots  has printed
very good articles on leak down testers. Check them out.
        David Wingett
        '73 street
        '75 E Prod