fot

Odd piece of work

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Odd piece of work
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 12:00:52 -0600 (MDT)
So, this local fellow has a Spit with a bad 1147 motor, and he's asking me
about engines, wondering if I have the parts to allow him to put a 1500 engine
in his car.  I vaguely remember a spare twin SU intake manifold for the four
port head, so I head to storage to dig it out, and haul it back to the shop.

Yep, it has the right stuff on the head side, and the right stuff on the carb
side.  But after a bit of scratching my head and looking at other manifolds,
I decide that at some point in the past, someone took a single Stromberg 1500
manifold, cut off the carb flange and welded a plate over the opening.  Then
they drilled out the ends of the carb side, and welded the carb flanges from
a two port manifold onto the four port manifold.  Odd looking, but I bet it
works fine for a street driven car!

Maybe I should talk him into going the Weber route....

mjb.