fot

RE: "Were Raced"?and Vintage Racing

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: "Were Raced"?and Vintage Racing
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 13:36:22 -0500

R. John Lye wrote:

> >But more to the point - vintage folks should possibly change the name of
> >the venue to vintage exhibition, and take "racing" out of the title.
> >There should be _no_ emphasis on winning.
> >
> >If you wanna win, go play SCCA or NASCAR or something.
>
> Well, that is the crux of the problem - and its been around as long as
> vintage racing has been around.  I can remember this being debated back
> in the early 80's with no resolution in sight yet!

Speedvision recently ran a tape of the Monterey Historics from the early
seventies. Anyone interested in seeing graphic evidence of how "Vintage" has
evolved from "exhibition" to "racing" should see it . . .

Personally, I have no problem with vintage racing under an "8/10ths" rule -
that's about as fast as I can go anyway    :-)

Jim Hill
Madison WI