fot

Re: Johnmacs observations

To: "Paul Richardson" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Johnmacs observations
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 21:43:43 -0000
Paul Richardson wrote:

>As most FOTers will know, John took up the torch and wrote
an article in
>the Triumph 2000 magazine hauling up Mr Robson on may
points including
>insulting remarks he made about the Gaydon Heritage centre.
>Mr. Robson did not like John's challenge one bit, but many
people did and
>they phoned me to say so.

A good many phoned me as well - offering 'words of comfort
and succour' that were to the general discredit of Mr.
Robson. It occurred to me to publish them in some august
compendium, printed on the finest vellum and bound in
hand-tooled Moroccan leather - but I couldn't afford it and
the possibility of libel came briefly into focus! One of
these people, most generously wrote me a letter and enclosed
copy correspondence he had had with Mr. Robson on another
matter which allegedly occurred during the course of last
year at a public dinner. When I read Robson's reply, I can
only say that I was absolutely staggered that anyone could
be so rude, aggressive and downright insulting - especially
to the Vice President of a TRIUMPH CLUB - and in writing
!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul commented that I challenged Mr. Robson on his remarks
about Gaydon. This is true - but is only part of the story.
This Triumph World columnist also referred to Triumph
Clubs - FOTers, please note the referring pluralism, as
"bleating, ring-fenced and insular." He did not restrict
this criticism to British or European clubs, so it seems we
have to assume he meant all of them, wherever they are? To
the best of my knowledge, Mr. Robson enjoys considerable
hospitality from Triumph Clubs on his annual 'global tours
of inspection' and this doesn't strike me as being very
polite. Consequently, I took it upon my shoulders to point
this out in a club magazine. It has since come to my
attention that his observation of clubs being insular,
ring-fenced bleaters was addressed specifically towards one
British club - and no other? Well, that's all as maybe but
one is forced to one conclusion. Mr. Robson has yet to learn
the difference between singular and plural and until such
time as he clarifies this point, I think it is fair to
assume he regards ALL Triumph Clubs in this vein. I'd ask
only this question. Does he mean the members of those clubs
too? In my book, a club is the sum of its membership.
Currently, we don't know - perhaps he'd like to clarify and
he might like to paint the 's' key on his keyboard another
colour?

Jonmac