fot

Re: Bombing of Coventry

To: "Paul Richardson" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bombing of Coventry
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 21:46:52 -0000
Paul Richardson wrote:

>Due to an initiative by Sir John Black plans were laid in
Coventry whereby
>essential production could also be moved from one Shadow
factory or
>production centre to another, as and when necessary. I.E.
he organized a
>huge pool of machine tools, some highly sophisticated, that
could be moved
>from one Coventry location to another at a moments notice.

There's another angle on that as well, Paul. Quite apart
from creating a system whereby machine tools could be moved
at short notice, Black and his management team also put in
place a 'scorched earth' policy so that, in the event of
invasion, all machine tools could be immobilised through
stripping of vital parts yet could easily be re-commissioned
at a later stage. I have written an article on this issue
which is currently being reviewed by Chris Janes of the
Standard Motor Club for publication in its mag.

Jonmac