fot

WestCo Gel-filled batteries

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: WestCo Gel-filled batteries
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 19:17:10 EST
On  Wed, 5 Jan 2000 08:15:34 -0800
"Arakelian, Peter" <arakelianp@mossmotors.com>
Wrote: Westco gel-filled batteries

I have been following the thread about gel batteries and am shocked to find
that someone ordered one from Moss UK at 94GBP (150USD)!!!!!
Moss USA supplies Moss UK with these batteries.  We sell them under part
number 459-425 for $79.95!
For top of the line gel for British applications we recommend the Optima
battery the size of which is a better fit, 9-15/16 x 6-3/4 x 7-13/16, at
$174.95.  Backed nationwide by an Interstate warranty.

Peter Arakelian
Domestic Buyer
Moss Motors, Ltd.
(805) 681-3400 x3214
(805) 692-2510 - Fax

Thanks Peter,
I appreciate that Moss UK is no longer the same company as Moss Motors USA,
and that many listers often report good service, and prices from Moss USA,
indeed, how I wish we here in the UK we as fortunate.

However, when I said that I was pleased with the service received from Moss
UK,
I was certainly not referring to their price.

Gel-filled batteries are rather difficult to source here in the UK.
I have never heard of Optimas being available in the UK.

Naturally I appreciate that the price I paid at 94.49 GBP x 1.6 USD/GBP =
151.18 USD is certainly much more than you guys out in the USA would pay for
a WestCo Gel-filled battery.

That is always the same with about anything bought here, imported from the
USA, by someone else, such as Moss.

It has a lot to do with the fact that it is a relatively heavy & unpleasant
object, made in Anaheim, CA, which has to be transported over here, probably
by airfreight.

Then once our customs boys get their teeth into it, you can do the following
calculation: cost of item & cost of shipping & insurance (if any) = total
plus import duty from outside Europe at 40% = new total, plus 17.5% Value
Added Tax on that total...gives cost to importer, then they add their profit
margin, then the cost of delivery to the customer, and probably the charge
made by the credit card company for taking a credit card order.

That may be why they are so damn expensive over here!
Mostly, if I order parts from the USA, I try to order them personally from
good folks like Ted Schumacher.

OTOH, I needed my battery fairly quickly, as I don't want any more corrosive
fluif chomping away at my Triumph bulkhead from that Lucas battery.
Now That is expensive!

BTW, the part number Moss UK use here is MXV1129X,
i.e.it's marketed for the Mazda Miata, known here as the MX5.
Measurements are H 20cm x W 20cm x D 13cm
In real 'money' that is H 7.88" x W 7.88" x D 5.12"
******************
Considering that our present government is trying as hard as it knows to both
tax we motorists to death, and to 'nanny us' into submission by threatening
to control our every move...seriously, they yesterday promised to introduce
GPS locaters in every new car on the roads of Britain/Europe within 5 years,
directly linked to a computerised control of the fuel flow to the engines, so
that we will be unable to exceed the speed limit  anywhere at any time ever
again., then after another 5 years, to introduce the same control on ALL
private motor vehicles, including our Triumphs.Oh yes, and the owners will be
required to pay for them!

Can you believe that our Auto Association (AAA in USA) think it is a great
idea, as it will get rid of speed cameras, road humps & traffic speed cops,
and no doubt dangerous sports cars, our hobby, our heritage, fun, a reason
for living...etc.

By 2010, I will be about 50 years old, and let me tell you, if they get away
with that nonsense, my Triumph will be going up on blocks in storage until I
retire to any country left without such goddam stoopid laws!

God preserve us all from our politicians!

Sorry to rant on, but I feel I have good reason.

Léon

Triumph Sports Six Club
International Liaison Secretary
1963 Triumph Vitesse 2-Litre Convertible
Wimbledon, London, England.