fot

Re: TR4 Engine Questions

To: lee-cc@worldnet.att.net, WEmery7451@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 Engine Questions
From: Catpusher@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 21:02:54 EST
In a message dated 1/10/00 11:05:39 AM Pacific Standard Time,
lee-cc@worldnet.att.net writes:

<<
 It's been 15 years since I last worked on my TR4.  I have dissassemble
 it and am getting it back into racing condition.  As a matter of fact
 Jack Wheeler built the engine I am in the process of freshening up.  It
 ran supberbly, by the way.

 Unfortunately I have lost my manual and have a couple of questions.  The
 machine shop wants to deck the block because the sleeves are protruding
 a bit.  Seems to me they are supposed to be above the block a few
 thousandths, but can remember for sure.

 Also, I chipped one of the sleeves at the bottom in the shape of a half
 moon.  There's about 1/4 inch chunk missing from the bottom.  The piston
 doesn't put any load on this part of the sleeve, I don't think, and was
 wondering if this would be a problem or should I try to locate another
 87mm sleeve?
 Is there somewhere I can buy a set of 87mm sleeves to replace what I
 have?

 I'm sure I'll have more questions later.  Bear with me, it may take me
 awhile to get the cobwebs out of my head where I store the Triumph data.

 Thanks for your help.
 Jim Lee >>

Step 1  get a factory (or the Bentley reprint) workshop manual.  TRF and
www.ewacars.com come to mind.  It will be money well spent  (as was having
Jack W build it, imho)

The liners should be .003" to .0055" (.005" in the later manual) above the
block once the liners have been settled.

As for the liners, including Bill Emery's question:  Steve Froines told me
that the factory went back from 87mm to 86 mm liners for the last season of
racing the TR4As because of splitting Hepolite 87 liners.  Enough water gets
in a crack to
usually hurt the block, crank, rod, and head.  I did not quite believe him
until I
had it happen.  I am currently running 87mm liners that fit in a standard
block,
but are thicker above the figure 8 gasket.  FOT member Ken Gillanders (BFE)
supplied them.  Probably more than a few of us have run liners with a chip out
of the bottom, but I would only do it in an emergency.

What would I know about this?  :-)
  Hardy Prentice