fot

TR4 Engine Questions

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 Engine Questions
From: "James Lee" <lee-cc@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 08:33:32 -0600
It's been 15 years since I last worked on my TR4.  I have dissassemble
it and am getting it back into racing condition.  As a matter of fact
Jack Wheeler built the engine I am in the process of freshening up.  It
ran supberbly, by the way.

Unfortunately I have lost my manual and have a couple of questions.  The
machine shop wants to deck the block because the sleeves are protruding
a bit.  Seems to me they are supposed to be above the block a few
thousandths, but can remember for sure.

Also, I chipped one of the sleeves at the bottom in the shape of a half
moon.  There's about 1/4 inch chunk missing from the bottom.  The piston
doesn't put any load on this part of the sleeve, I don't think, and was
wondering if this would be a problem or should I try to locate another
87mm sleeve?
Is there somewhere I can buy a set of 87mm sleeves to replace what I
have?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later.  Bear with me, it may take me
awhile to get the cobwebs out of my head where I store the Triumph data.

Thanks for your help.
Jim Lee