fot

Re: Phoenix in January

To: John Lehman <JELehman@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Phoenix in January
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 15:34:18 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, John Lehman wrote:

> Greetings FOT!
>
> I find I'm going to be in Phoenix next Tuesday through Sunday.  Any
> suggestions of things to do or see in Phoenix area that might interest a
> party to this list?

I'll just throw in a few that I've done. Of course I haven't been there
for a while - YIKES! 9 years!

There's a desert "flora" museum more or less in the center of the city
called the "Desert Botanical Garden.  Quite interesting with various cacti
and some diplays of buidlings that the original inhabitants used...

If you're into planes, especially fighters, Champlin Fighter museum is
awesome. They had a lot of stuff from the very early days up to a couple
of jet fighters on display. I give it a hardy thumbs up!

> I wish I had the spare change to go to Bondurant's school for a couple of
> days!

Ah, but my favorite fun thing to do in Phoenix - Malibu Grand Prix... in
Mesa somewhere. Take a few hot laps there - it's worth the $20 or so. Of
course I'm pretty sure they don't take PlastiCard - so you should still
have some money left after the trip to buy some parts for your Triumph!

You should check with Firebird Raceway and Phoenix International too see
if they have any events this time of the year. Seems to me that there's
some USAC sprint or midget action in January there. Firebird has
everything from drag racing to Bob B. courses and of course the most
bizarre of motor sports - Drag Boats.

If you have some "dough" to throw around, there's always some of the
artsey stuff in Scottsdale. Seems to me that Arie Lyundyke has an art
gallery somewhere in Scottsdale. There's also Talliessen(sp?) West - the
winter digs of the Frank Loyd Wright movement.

> John Lehman
> '68 Triumph GT6

As you can tell, I like Phoenix. Don't have much call to go there anymore
- but I have fond memories.

Oh, and most of the "real Mexican" food is "to die for". I don't say that
about food very often... and I'm not implying that it'll kill you. Unless
you eat _tons_ of it, of course.

regards,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |