fot

Re: SU carb fuel flow

To: kaskas@earthlink.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SU carb fuel flow
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 00:08:02 EST
Wonderful!!!

The first few years, the Strombergs were run as stock, right of the shelf, as
much of the rest of the car was...and still is.

I, with my son, Sean will investigate the size of the seat and needles.

Also, Sean made the velocity stacks from aluminum stock material and they are
subject to scrutiny & change. But his stacks are a testimonial to creative
thinking and low budget.

I sensed that the Stombergs were sensitive to float level...err on the high
side?  I keep the pressure at about 2.5 pounds, but looking for seats that
will contain the gas the best....any recommendations? Much past 2.5# and we
leak gas past the seats.

One last thing, does the vent hole caper apply to these early TR4 Strombergs?

Kas, questions answered and more. I can now experiment a bit at my modest
level of expertise, with some confidence.

The Strombergs are almost a family heirloom as I have had them since 1969...
 :-)

Best regards,

Joe Alexander

Joe

<< We did not modify the Strombergs much, but they did give excellant power.
 We used them primarly on the GT-6 and made  186 real BHP at 8200 with those
 little 1.5" devils.  I did as said before enlarge the needle and seat bore.
 As I remember the main problem was getting float height to be high enough to
 flow the fuel and low enough to not flow over the jet tube bore.  Also I
 remember the fuel pressure to be more particular with the Strombergs. (lower
 semed to be better) Also with the GT-6 engines I made we used a velocity
 stack that added a nice little 6-8 bhp.  I would pull then off then push
 them back into place on the engine dyno as the engine was revving away.  You
 could see the needle drop a considerable amount when the stacks were
 removed. Not the type as used on the Webers but with a much bigger flair and
 a nice rolled edge.  Probably didn't answer your question but .....there you
 are. >>