fot

Re: SU carb fuel flow

To: "Jack W Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SU carb fuel flow
From: "R. Kastner" <kaskas@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 15:45:56 -0800
Interesting problem that I have encountered before.  The Strombergs have a
diaphrame so the piston is ruled by an accurate depression while the S.U.'s
have a static clearance that can vary.  Its not likly BUT the clearance may
be too large on the SU's between piston and dashpot. More than likly though
the needle and seat are too small for the flow demand. I have almost always
needed to increase the flow of the needle and seat by drilling out slightly
(sorry don't remember those numbers).  I also drilled the main jets as you
have suggested.  I have used a #38 drill  .101", and a #37 drill which is
.104".  The #37 more than does the job so I would use the#38 first and see
if there is any improvment.  Do check the float levels though as this puppy
just might be not be able to flow the dmeand of the engine.