fot

Re: Racing with overdrives

To: LANG@isis.mit.edu, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Racing with overdrives
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 15:40:43 EST
In a message dated 1/25/00 11:52:37 AM Pacific Standard Time,
LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU writes:

<<
 I assume this is to mean use the 4.11 instead of a 4.30 or 4.55 or
 whatever. Is that what you mean? >>

That is what I mean, Bob.  My best times at the Ledges in the late 70's and
early 80's took place with OD and a 4.55 rear end ratio.

The tire profiles have dropped over the years, and everyone may now be back
to a 3.7 ratio.  I am now using a 3.7 ratio, but I have been in the survival
mode for the last several years trying to maintain a license.  If your tracks
do not have long straights, you may be better off with the lower ratios.

The superstars stayed away from the overdrives due to the weight and the
reliability, and used a close ratio gearbox.