fot

carb fuel flow & racing OD

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: carb fuel flow & racing OD
From: Catpusher@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 15:56:23 EST
I never had to make the internal sizes in my SUs bigger.  This covers my 56
carbs,
later TR3A push on fitting carbs, TR4A carbs, and the 2" ones.  I do have
quite a collection of SU needles.  We did work at trying to actually burn as
much of the fuel as possible.  Lb fuel/ HP hour

The JRT comp department had a kit for the Stroms with a spring for the float
that
was aimed at the corner/straight problem.

Before the EP TR3 was allowed CR gears, I did several years of R&D on the A
type
OD.  Even with high HP and real tires, it can be made to work.  I did have an
external
pump and cooler, which I suspect would not be necessary for vintage.  The oil
is very important, and if you set the operating pressure too
high, the result is no oil to keep the unit alive.  I have built the
occasional A type
 racing unit for other people, but a full race unit takes some hours to build.

For the GT6, I would suspect that the J unit would be the way to go, as it
was fitted
to the big cars as well, unlike the earlier unit.

Hardy Prentice