fot

More silly bomb stories

To: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Subject: More silly bomb stories
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 18:53:09 -0500
At 11:12 AM 2/3/00 -0400, Bob Lang wrote:
>Hi,
>
>It was funny reading about "bombs in our youths".

snip

How about this one... My buddies and I were blowing up various objects when
we found an old water kettle in the trash. You know, one of those things
you put water in to boil on the stove. It whistles when the water is
boiling. We thought this would be great, to blow this thing to smithereens...

The kettle was set in the middle of the road, the lit M-80 dropped in the
spout. We all run back about 10 steps and turn and wait for the impending
blast. With hands over our ears, the BOOM finally happens.

In disbelief, the 4 or 5 of us are left standing there, and the kettle is
gone. We all start milling about, looking for where it went. A good 10+
seconds go by, and all of a sudden I see a shadow very quickly approaching
from the corner of my eye. Then, BANG, the kettle lands 2 feet from me,
about 1 foot from my friend.

Years of being subjected to an open flame on the stove weakened the bottom
of the kettle, so the explosion blew out the bottom of the kettle! The
resultant projectile went straight up, and landed a few feet from where it
took off.

It was dumb luck one of us wasn't killed.

  Henry Frye - thefryes@iconn.net - Connecticut, USA
  Stag MkI      Getting Sorted Out
  TR3B          Driver
  TR4           Not For The Street!
  TR250         The BIG Project - Will Be Worth the Wait
  Homepage      http://members.iconn.net/~thefryes/