fot

Re: Longer Lug Studs

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Longer Lug Studs
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 11:01:06 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Joe Curry wrote:

FOT - long-winded answer warning.

> I changed out the lug studs on my race car project with some for a TR6.
> They work great, but the wheels that I am using to mount the slicks are
> thicker and therefore I am not getting enough threads into the nuts to
> make me feel secure.

Ah - I know this problem.

Ironically, I used my American Racing Wheels for four seasons (so far)
with stock TR6 studs that stand "just proud" of the wheel. Those wheels
use the barrel style lug nuts, so there is plenty of "engagement". No
cracks or any fatigue that I can see.

But frankly, I was always nervous about this situation, and subsequently
upgraded to 1/2-20 studs that are around 3 inches long for the race car. Now
there's almost too much lug length. Those are Moroso 46180, if I recall.

> So, I am inquiring where I can get the lug studs 2" long (from the base
> of the head) that have the same knurl and head design as those of a
> TR6.  I've got my local auto parts guy looking and so far he's come up
> empty.

What I think you'll find is that there are studs that are around 2-7/8" in
length available in 7/16-20 size. The TR6 knurl is around .520, if I
recall correctly.

I found two styles of studs in the 1/2-20 size, one was from Mr. Gasket
and had a knurl that was close enough to the stock TR6 knurl such that
they just pressed in... albeit with a lot of force from a hydraulic
press. Hi Bob! The Mr. Gasket part was grade 8 - so they're strong. The only
drawback is that there is no "starter nose" on the studs, so you have to
be careful not to cross thread the lugnuts. Don't ask how I know this.

;-)

The other more appropriate stud that I used was from Moroso. These used a
larger knurl, so I had to have the holes reamed out before pressing the
lugs in. That stud used a .615 knurl. I have a reamer that I can lend out if
you decide to go "huge" on your lugs, and .615 is a wierd size - hence my
ownership of said reamer.

But the major point I'm trying to make here is that I know Moroso to have
a 7/16-20 stud, but that the knurl is not the same as a stock TR6 stud,
so you would probably have to ream the holes out to get them to fit okay.
I don't reall a part number, wait - I just went to www.moroso.com and
found a part number: 46160. The knurl on these is .550 or so, so you'll
have to ream your hubs to get 'em to fit. You can get these studs
_everywhere_, but Summit Racing and Jegs would be likely sources.

I'm _pretty sure_ that the 46150 studs knurl is too small for your
application, but those are made to go into .475 holes (more or less).

There's also ARP, although I have no part number references for them.
John Lye' uses the ARP studs, but he's got a TR4 and they are closer to
the "GM brake drum application" than the TR6 is. I think.

Also, I did a web search at altavista.com and and came up with:

http://www.mit.edu/people/zimerman/Documents/tr6/halfinchstuds.html

WOW! That stuff was written by _ME_! I guess JBZ put 'em on his TR6 site
there. I have to admit that it's kind of funny to find stuff that I wrote
when I'm looking to answer I question that I know I have solve.

The Web can be wierd at times.

> Regards,
> Joe
> --
> "If you can't excel with talent, triumph with effort."
>  -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer

Good luck and later,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |