fot

U joint Troubles...

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: U joint Troubles...
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 17:29:05 EST
Universal Types-

Well, I've hit another snag on The Dike of Oil's progress...

I am using Corvair outer axles on my 4A, and have run into a u-joint problem.
The Chevvy cross is .655 in diameter (the cross inside the cap that the
needles run on) and the old u-joints on the TR are also .655. I am shortening
the Chevvy joints to fit the TR yolk on the axle side. Everything looked
perfect until I decided to get new TR u-joints to use the caps on the cut
down Chevvy cross! It seems the whole u-joint conglomerate has decided that
the cross size for TR's should now be smaller (.625). Now I cannot find any
TR u-joints with the old .655 cross size...and no I cannot find any .655
u-joints with the short caps that the TR uses.
So...does anyone have any old style nos big TR u-joints out in the shop with
the .655 cross shaft size?
My last resort will be to turn down the .655 Chevvy shaft to the .625 shaft
size of the new TR u-joints, but that will probably grind thru the case
hardening.

If its not one thing...its another
         Nick of Nor Cal

Can someone post this over to the big TR list for me?