fot

Pile-o-Parts...Plus driveline vibration inquiry

To: jwheeler@seidata.com
Subject: Pile-o-Parts...Plus driveline vibration inquiry
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 22:26:00 EDT
Pile -O-Parts     Collection of TR Parts...I resemble your remarks, Jack
Wheeler.

On to a diagnosis of drive line vibration in IRS TR4A w/OD, if I may solicit
some help from the FOT.   Important!!!!

Subject Car: TR4A 1965 IRS with OD.

Operating Conditions: Long distance high speed driving for extended periods.

Symptoms: Vibration (which seems to be RPM related) at about 3000 RPM at each
shift point and during cruise.

Discussion:  Seems to be a long term problem...before I became familiar with
the car.

*Overdrive unit replaced in recent years with rebuilt unit. Not known if
condition was there before.

*U-Joints replaced on 'regular basis'...this car is accumulating substantial
miles.

*Not known if driveshaft is "out of phase" or even if TR is sensitive to same.

*Condition of engine and driveline mounts unknown.

*Total restoration in recent years...Nut & Bolt frame off.

Effect: Driveline is fairly smooth, but not necessarily 'good' at below 3,000
RPM (indicated). Smooths out again at 3400 RPM (indicated) or better. A bit
too fast for most roads in overdrive.

This car will continue to be driven for long distances...likely another
10,000 miles yet this year. And more in years to come....knowing the owner.
He deserves better.

FOT?  Jack Wheeler?....of course you know this driveline. Have any
suggestions? Anyone else?

(I had a 1966 TR4A IRS that I remember running to 108 MPH (non-OD) without
this vibration and it spent most of it's life with a bit of squat to rear due
to sagging springs)

There is a 4,000 to 5,000 mile trip planned this Fall in this car. Enuff said
here.

Regards & Thanks,

Joe Alexander