fot

Re: Pile-o-Parts - Another VIEW

To: Jack Wheeler <jwheeler@seidata.com>
Subject: Re: Pile-o-Parts - Another VIEW
From: jmwagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 10:03:54 -0700
You'll all recall that I started to sell off a restoration project AND a good
chunk of the hoard of parts I had... (much like Jack's)...

The reason I was willing to unload  the spares is this:   It was just a few
years ago... if my TR 4A broke down...  it might mean weeks of searching to
find a NLS replacement part...  and even longer... if i was holding out for a
reasonable price....    So the best thing a TR owner could do, was keep every
spare he could find.... buying a parts car was a great idea...

NOW... it's different....   the car breaks down... I send one e-mail to the
newsgroup... and within a few hours... there's 5 or so people offering me the
part... at various prices and conditions...  alternatively, I check e-bay or
other on-line sources...  in short... I can get just about any spare, at a fair
price, shipped in days...

So there just isn't much point in storing hoards of parts...  particularly if
you don't have the space.... or you're renting a storage space (which is what I
have been doing!!)....

The internet and newsgroups like this have made things so much better!  I used
to think I'd like to have a TR 3 one day... but then I ruled it out, because
all my spares are TR 4(A).... now I realize... heck... one day I will get a TR3
for my stable... who cares about the spares!

--Justin

(in regards to acquisitions..  motorcycle comes before TR 3.)