fot

Re: fot and flares

To: vinttr4@geneseo.net
Subject: Re: fot and flares
From: EISANDIEGO@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 10:17:54 EDT
Jack

    If the cars were not competing in the same race subgroup, they could then
run wheels and tires that they used when actually racing without placing
other TRs etc at any type of competitive advantage.

    The issue here is preserving the cars as they were actually raced. I
would certainly not expect (or want) to convert my TR3A racecar to flares,
etc, because it was never raced with flares. However, I understand there are
numerous TR3 that have flares because they were raced prior to 1973 (and
still raced) when flares were legal.

    I think one benefit from taking this approach is that it makes it easier
to restore old race cars and gives people an incentive to so. The flare,
wheel. tire restrictions are actually a disincentive at this point to buy old
race cars because you basically have to change the body.

    Frankly, I have never approach vintage racing from the standpoint of
attempting to win races. I just enjoy participation. If I want to be serious
about racing and winning, there is always SCCA or the Porsche Club.

    I would think that the spectators who support many of these events would
prefer to see the cars as they were actually raced. Frankly, having cars
prepared differently could help show the changes/developments in race cars
over time.

    Very frankly, there is alot of technobeing used in the vintage cars today
that were not available in 1972. It seems hypocritical to be retrofitting
cars to remove flares, etc. while advancing engine, gear boxes, etc. to a
state that never existed in 1972.

    For those focused on competition, what these rules do are allow cars that
were not raced prior to 1972 (like my TR3A race car) to be competitive with
cars that were actually raced competitively prior to 1972. Simply by the fact
that the car was built before 1972, someone can build a new very competitive
vintage race car. Made more competitive by rules forcing the real racecar to
be retrofitted.

    Again, my main point is that we are trying to preserve the racing
heritage. If you changing cars to meet a standard that does not represent
specification of that era, then we are not preserving that heritage.

Cary