fot

Re: fot and flares

To: vinttr4@geneseo.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: fot and flares
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 10:13:26 EDT
In a message dated 06/07/2000 6:32:43 AM Central Daylight Time,
vinttr4@geneseo.net writes:

<< I'm curious -- for you folks struggling with the issue of flares, how do
 you feel about the rules pertaining to wheel width and tire sizes?  >>

Jack:

I am running my TR3 on 5" wheels.  Last year I bought a set of Panasports.  I
had to buy them because I won a set of HOOSIER tires, and they would not fit
(seat) on my 5" wheels.  The new wheels are 6", but I have not used them yet.

I feel that wheels should be limited to 1" wider than came with the car (from
the manufacturer).  Past that, I do not believe the aspect ratio should be
less than 70%.

Bill Dentinger

PS

Most ALL of these rules (i.e. SVRA, VSCDA) were first written in the late
1970s and early 1980s.  They will soon be 20 years old.  Most were written
because the vast majority of the people who were instrumental in organizing
Vintage Racing were more car lovers than they were racers.  These were people
who bought old War Horses, and wanted to exercise them, as opposed to just
polishing them.  The rules were written so that they did not get a whole
bunch of 'rusty TR3s' in their field (GOD!  I heard that line a million times
early on, and it used to offend me deeply).  My TR3 was never rusty.
PRESENTATION was more important than PERFORMANCE.

Almost twenty years have passed.  There is no reason why these rules should
not be revisited, discussed, and changed PROVIDED IT WILL BE GOOD FOR VINTAGE
RACING.  While I think they have been good rules, and served a purpose, there
is no reason why they can't be reevaluated.  My own position will probably
favor STATUS QUO.  That's probably because of my age and what is important to
me from the hobby.  But I certainly can and will live with majority rule.

Finally...if you don't like some group's rules involving fender flares and
wheel widths...try racing with the Vintage Sports Car Club of America (the
VSCCA), the oldest and arguably the most prestigious vintage racing group in
the USA.  They don't allow TR3s and TR4s  period!  Not Significant!  Too
common!  You can bring a TRS or the Macau, but not the stuff we run.