fot

Re: uncle Jack's disease

To: "RIVERSIDE SPORTS CARS" <RIVERSIDE@Cedar-Rapids.net>,
Subject: Re: uncle Jack's disease
From: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 22:35:49 -0700
At Hardy Prentice's suggestion, we have made floating baffles that look like
large washers made out of sheet Teflon that is 1/8 inch thick.  The baffles
fit just outboard of the ring gear carrier bearings.  When the oil begins to
"slosh" out of the center part of the axle casing, it pushes the oil up
against the end of the axle tube where it fits inside of the center section
casting.  The baffle has a hole in the center just large enough for the axle
shaft to fit  through.  It prevents the oil from running out of the center
section of the differential and  flooding  the axle seals.   This
modification completely put an end to both my axle seal leaks and the loss
of ring and pinions due to overheating caused by oil starvation, which
invariably happens when all of the oil goes out to one end  of the axle
tube.
                                                                    Regards,
Greg Solow