fot

RE: Line Boring the TR-3/4 Three Main Engine Blocks

To: WEmery7451@aol.com, "'fot@autox.team.net'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Line Boring the TR-3/4 Three Main Engine Blocks
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 21:03:15 -0700
I just had to go through quite a bit of machining of the main bearings on
Peyote's original engine since I discovered during the teardown (after I
lost all the oil) that the center main bearing cap was broken (looked like
it had been for some time) and the crank had several cracks. So I bought a
steel crank, found a bearing cap, and turned it over to a good machinist.

He told me you can't simply line bore the mains by grinding down the caps
and boring, since that will inevitably move the crank upwards somewhat in
the block. Not a terrible thing with a pushrod motor and chain driven
timing, but nice to avoid.

So the machinist says he made everything right, including the obvious seal
problem. I haven't picked the bits up yet so I don't have a full
explanation, but I think he ground the cap ends just a tiny amount, and then
skimmed the bores minimally, cutting mostly into the caps. Then repeated the
process until he got a clean bore in all three bearings. At least that's
what it sounded like. then he made the seal holes round. Of course the rear
seal isn't much of a problem since I use the aluminum carrier replacement
seal kit--that kind of self-centers.

I'll quiz him roundly when I see the pieces.

I don't know how good the bearing alignments are in stock TR motors, but I
do know that we used to pull 25-30% more horsepower from british single and
twin cylinder bikes just by custom machining everything to be perfectly
aligned. Main bearings on most bikes were amazingly out of line and not
parallel to the other rotating parts (like the camshafts). Piston bores were
not remotely perpendicular to the crank. When you got everything right the
vibration almost disappeared, even with singles.